How we protect your Privacy
- At Simpson’s Pharmacies, we treat your personal health information with respect and sensitivity in accordance with the Ontario Personal Health Information Protection Act, 2004 (PHIPA) and any other laws that we are required to follow.
- We take steps to protect your personal health information from theft, loss and unauthorized access, copying, modification, use, disclosure and disposal.
- We perform audits to monitor and manage our privacy compliance.
- We take steps to ensure that our pharmacy staff and everyone who performs services for us protects your privacy.
Collection of personal health information
We collect personal health information about you directly from you or the person acting on your behalf. The personal health information that we collect may include, your name, date of birth, address, health history, medication history, allergies, etc. Occasionally, we collect personal health information about you from other sources if we have obtained your consent to do so or if the law permits.
Uses and disclosures of personal health information
We use and disclose your personal health information:
- To support your health care when we are providing pharmacy services such as filling a prescription, refilling or making changes to a prescription, starting a smoking cessation product, administering a flu vaccine, diabetic education and support, monitoring your lab results when you are taking certain medication.
- To communicate or consult about your health care with other health care providers when we are providing pharmacy services to you, which could include for example, lab results, hospital discharge summaries, medications that have been prescribed to you, allergies, etc. from electronic medical information systems. If you would like more information about the electronic medical information systems, please speak with a pharmacist or our Privacy Contact.
- To get payment for your pharmacy services including from OHIP, WSIB and private insurers.
- To plan, administer and manage our internal pharmacy operations.
- For quality improvement and patient safety activities for our pharmacy services.
- When we have to comply with legal and regulatory requirements.
- To fulfill other purposes that are permitted or required by law.
You may access and/or request that corrections be made to your records of personal health information, or withdraw you consent for some of the above uses and disclosures (subject to certain legal obligations) by contacting our Privacy Contact.
For more information or to raise a concern, please contact our Privacy Contact at:
905.328.8886 or email@example.com
For more information about your privacy rights, or if you are unable to resolve a problem directly with our Privacy Contact:
Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario
2 Bloor St. E., Suite 1400, Toronto, ON M4W 1A8
Phone: 416-326-3333 or toll-free 1-800-387-0073